Wednesday, November 25, 2009

mixed reviews...

ok, so I know with Thanksgiving Day approaching I should have something profound to write, well that is someone's expectation I presume...

Thanksgiving Day however I have very mixed reviews....I look at this way, 7 years ago this Thanksgiving Day mom had her stroke, and the "day" itself has not been the same.  Granted, last Thanksgiving Day was the day dad came home from the hospital so you would think that would balance things out...for me it doesn't.  November in general just doesn't score high on my list...it's more a month of sad events then fun family gatherings.  Grandpa died November 7th 1994, Uncle Russell died the week of Thanksgiving 2002, actually the last thing I have that mom wrote before her stroke were from parts of Uncle Russell's eulogy she was helping with.  I had a car wreck the week grandpa died, actually on the way to the hospital to see him.  Maybe I'm focusing on too many icky things but the "day" of Thanksgiving just isn't the same as it was when Grandma was still here and mom was busy hustling and bustling, decorating every platter in the way she could only do.

I'm thankful don't get me wrong, but it's daily not just this one day...  I think I'd like to just keep the old Thanksgiving Day memories and let this just be another day on the calendar...we'll see...

No comments: